POSTS

THE SECRET TO KEEPING A NEW YEAR’S RESOLUTION

angus-phil

A New Year’s resolution is a tradition in which a person makes a promise to do an act of self-improvement beginning from New Year’s Day. -Wikipedia

The above definition is the “official” definition of New Year’s resolution but going by reality, New Year’s resolution is basically defined as the first few weeks or at most, the first few months of a year in which a person makes a promise to do an act of self-improvement.

I am pretty sure everyone can relate more to the second definition than the first.

Towards the end of the year, many of us start coming up with different ideas and projections that we would like to achieve in the coming year which we probably failed to achieve in the outgoing year.

Maybe we want to go to church more often or we want to stop a particular habit or maybe we just want to make ourselves feel better with the idea that we want to “self improve” but the question really isn’t about the resolution but whether or not we are able to keep them.

Statistics from a survey show that one in three people make New Year resolution’s and as little as 8% actually make good and continue on those resolutions. While the remaining 92% stick to their goals for at least a week then return back to their old practices.

I actually used to fall amongst the 92% that stuck to their goal for at least a week until I realized the “secret” to keeping a New Year’s resolution which is THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A “NEW YEAR’S RESOLUTION”!

Look at it this way.

If you want to go to church more often, why do you need the start of a new year to actually start doing that? If you want to quit smoking, why do you need one year to end and another begin before you put down that cigarette? If you want to stop using swear words, why do you wait until December 31st to supposedly say your last foul word?

new-years-resolutions-204044-530-569_large

Simply put, New Year’s resolution is just the mind’s way of saying “I tried”.

So rather than living with the fact that you never even attempted to stop swearing, you create an illusion in your mind where you tell yourself that starting from January of the next year, I will stop swearing.

But fast forwards few days, weeks or months after you “stop swearing”, you find yourself back to square one swearing and cursing away and then you console yourself with the words “I tried”.

We need to wake up from the slumber people. It is no longer called a “New Year’s resolution but simply RESOLUTION! So if you think you should pray more then do it. Pray more! Do not wait for the start of the new year or the next lunar eclipse before you start saying more prayers.

The fact that you are even projecting that resolution of yours until the new year is already glaring to see that it would only be temporary because since you are really willing to wait for the year to end in order to pray more obviously means that you really do not care much about praying after all.

If it were very important to you, trust me, you would get on your knees and pray immediately.

Granted, there are some cases of resolutions that involve addiction and sometimes it really isn’t easy to just up and quit the habit but like I have implied above, do not see your resolution as a task, rather see it as something you need to do to give yourself a better life.

Setting a timeline for that resolution will only put you in a tight corner as you will feel you are under obligation to see it through.

Start now, start today! Whatever it is on that list of yours, do not wait for the first of January to better yourself. Start your resolution now because it is what you want to do and not what you have to do at the start of every new year.

Do you think resolutions should come with a timeline?

Please subscribe to the blog’s YouTube Channel; A Loco Viva Voce (click the link to subscribe) and also subscribe to the BBM Channel by scanning the BBM Channel Barcode on the sidebar or add Channel Pin and LIKE the A Loco Viva Voce Facebook Page also on the sidebar.

For instant email updates on recent posts, click the “Follow” icon on the side bar or follow on Twitter @alocovivavoce or Instagram @alocovivavoce

PS: Words are an expression of opinion; WRITING is SPEAKING!

-OUR

PHOTO CREDIT: Existential Ennui & Psych Central

Categories: POSTS, SOCIETY

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s